How to get a Green Card through Marriage

Adjustment of Status Process in the US:

To adjust your status (get a green card), you, the American citizen, must file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. At the same time or later, your spouse must file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. Together with the Form I-485, your spouse should file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization (work permit) and Form I-131, Application for a Travel Document. This document, also called “Advance Parole”, will be processed before his or her adjustment of status application. Once your spouse receives Advance Parole, he or she can travel abroad without the application to adjust status being considered abandoned. It will take about 5 months to get  Advance Parole card, so your spouse cannot leave the US until then.

The current USCIS application fees are:
The filing fee for the I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, is $535.
The filing fee for the I-485, Application to Adjust Status is $1140 application fee and $85 biometric fee (fingerprints and photo id). Note: the filing fee for Form I-485 includes the filing fee for the Employment Authorization Document and Application for a Travel Document. Also, you will have to establish that you have adequate financial resources to support your spouse while in the US.  To do this, you will also have to file Form I-864, Affidavit of Support.  If your income is not sufficient to meet the income requirements, you will need to obtain a joint sponsor.

Your spouse will also need to get a medical examination by an approved doctor (also known as a “civil surgeon”). To find an approved doctor near you, see the link: or call the USCIS Contact Center at 800-375-5283. For people who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability: TTY 800-767-1833. The cost of this examination depends on the doctor and not the government.  It should be no more than $300.